Who Can Apply for a Scholarship

Dependent unmarried children under age 23 of active duty personnel, Reserve/Guard and retired military members, or survivors of service members who died while on active duty may apply for a Heroes' Legacy Scholarship if they meet one of the following additional criteria:

  • One of the parents died while serving on active duty on or after September 11, 2001 in any branch or component of the U. S. Armed Forces OR

  • One of the parents, while serving on active duty on or after September 11, 2001, became disabled - meaning that the parent qualified for receipt of Traumatic Servicemembers' Group Life Insurance (TSGLI) OR

  • One of the parents, who was on active duty on or after September 11, 2001, received a permanent and total compensation rating of 100% from the Department of Defense or Department of Veterans Affairs.

If a student or parent is not sure whether they qualify, they can submit documentation to Fisher House Foundation which will make such determinations on a case by case basis. Documentation should be sent via email to BGawne@fisherhouse.org. Please include "Heroes' Legacy Scholarships" in the subject line. If no response is provided within one week, please call Fisher House Foundation at (888) 294-8560 to ensure the email was received.

In addition to the above, the student must possess a DD Form 1173 (United States Uniformed Services Identification Card), or a DD Form 2765 (DoD/Uniformed Services Identification and Privilege card). Eligibility, including survivors of deceased members, will be determined using the DEERS (Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System) database. Applicants can verify if they are enrolled in DEERS by having the sponsor go to www.dmdc.osd.mil and entering their social security number, date of birth, and last name (requires a CAC card or DFAS ID) or call 1-800-538-9552. Alternatively, the personnel office at your closest military installation can access DEERS and verify if the applicant is enrolled.

Applicants must be enrolled, or planning to enroll, in a full-time undergraduate program of study leading to a bachelor's degree at an accredited U.S. college or university in the fall term of 2020. High school applicants must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 basis). College applicants must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.50. College freshmen must submit a first semester college transcript.

Recipients may be asked to provide an "Awards Letter" from the college or university they plan to attend. An "Awards Letter" verifies the costs to attend a particular college or university, and it includes all grants the student has qualified to receive.

Excepting extremely unusual circumstances, the awards cannot be deferred for future use; the awards must be used for educational expenses incurred during the 2020-2021 Academic Year.

The awards are made without regard to race, creed, color, sex, sexual orientation, religious belief, national origin, rank or service of the sponsor.